Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween "Once Upon A Recipe" with Joy in Haiku


Today seems like the perfect day to share a "Once Upon a Time" Recipe. Why? Well it's Halloween, a beautiful chilly Fall day and I'm thinkin' hum...baked macaroni and cheese.

This is one of those recipes a family acquires but is never sure where it came from because it's been used for years. I started making this when we lived in Burlingame, California (just south of San Francisco) nearly 35 years ago. I have no idea how I got the recipe, I just know a week seldom went by without making it. Now it's the "Mother-In-Law" recipe. You know "The One Your Husband Asks You To Make Because His Mother Made It This Way" Recipe? So without further ado, here it is.


Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 stick of margarine/butter
4 cups macaroni, uncooked
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups grated Colby cheese/favorite cheese
5 cups milk
1 package smoky links

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9" x 13" baking dish melt margarine/butter in the oven. Add macaroni with salt and pepper to the baking dish and coat with margarine. Evenly distribute macaroni mix and top evenly with grated cheese (I sometimes use more that 2 cups). Cover mixture with milk. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with smoky links. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes. Cool about 10 minutes before serving.

I usually serve it with french cut green beans, and the kids always like to put ketchup on it and the "links."

Please join the fun. Share your family recipe and memories surrounding it. Make your comments here and then go to Mr. Linky so we can visit and share your recipe. Who knows your recipe might start a new holiday tradition at someone else's holiday gathering.


~~~~~~~



Tomorrow I'll join Meri for Share the Joy Thursday.   For I believe we need to find it in my life every day no matter the realities in which we live.  God is Good in so many ways even in times of trial.

Joy comes in many forms.
And this day has the potential of
being just as grand as
Halloween!


must be open to it!
~~~~~~~~~~
On All Hallows Eve
We gather to play and tease
Tomorrow we pray.

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!!!

Cathy



Please visit Rebecca at recuerda mi corazon for Haiku My Heart on Friday. There is always more beautiful words  there to enchant and encourage!!! 






9 comments:

  1. Amen. And, that recipe sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... this looks like GREAT mac and cheese! Hummm...makes me hungry!!
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the homemade mac and cheese and never used the boxed stuff. I just did a green tomato relish I might go back and retrieve and post. With this I always have veggies for my DM diet. Halloween has gotten to be a fun time even for adults. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very rich that recipe, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathy,

    I love your header -- the Cliffs of Moher, right? Have you been? I went to Ireland in 1999, but didn't get to the Cliffs of Moher. I went with my husband who was there on business, and I was only there for a long weekend. I would certainly love to go back!

    Your recipe looks delish and the Haloween clip art is sooo cute. :) This is really my favorite time of the year. My husband and I are autumn people.

    Thanks so much for your sweet comments; I'm glad you enjoyed the pics of our local fall colors. Some years, we manage to drive up to the mountains almost every weekend in the fall, but this year it hasn't worked out that way. A lot of our leaves are already fallen now, but it's still a gorgeous time of year.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for giving me JOY by stopping by and saying hello at Pride in Photos. I LOVE that you put smokey links in the mac n cheese. Awesome!We put spam slices in our baked beans...it is so yummy.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should try that recipe, seems quick enough :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I would love this dish! Such good comfort food! I like the recipe linky idea! Are you going to do it again? I would love to take part! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.