Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Birthday Reflection

In the City of Denver, sixty-three years ago today, was born a baby who would grow to become wife, mother and nurse to the family, Keller. As a child I can remember being excited knowing that my birthday was just before that of Baby Jesus. Today I reflect on that time and say, "Thanks be to God" for the privilege of celebrating the day chosen for me before the beginning of time as the day I would begin my journey home to the Father. I also say, "Thanks be to God," for David, my oldest son, with whom I am privileged to share this day. David was born on my 24th birthday and such a joy it is to celebrate this day with him, though he is several hundred miles away!!!

And so it is that I offer this genuinely thankful reflection from Advent and Christmas, Wisdom from G. K. Chesterton.
***

GRATEFUL

The test of all happiness is gratitude; and I felt grateful, though I hardly know to whom.

Children are grateful when Santa Clause puts in their stoic kings gifts of toys or sweets. Could I not be grateful to Santa Clause when he put in my stockings the gift of two miraculous legs? We thank people for birthday presents of cigars and slippers.

Can I thank no one for the birthday present of birth? ORTHODOXY

GRATITUDE FOR SHEER EXISTENCE

O Lord, how manifold are your works!
In wisdom you have made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.

These all look to you
to give them their food in due season;
when you vie to them, they gaiter it up;
when you open your hand, they are fill with
good things

When you hide your face, they are dismayed;
when you take away their breath, they die
and return to the dust.

When you send forth your spirit, they are created;
and you renew the face of the ground.

Psalm 104:24, 27-30

PRAYER

Lord, perhaps we are not happier right now because we live life without gratitude. We fret frenetically about what we do not have, thus poisoning our appreciation for what we do not have. If we were more attentive to the miracles of legs, hands, eyes, ears, and breath--more alert to our very life--perhaps then we could begin to fathom the gifts of sweets and slippers and give proper thanks. Thank you God for everything. [Amen! Amen!!]

ADVENT ACTION

If you keep a journal, list the chief four or five thing for which you are grateful today. Now imagine that this day were the only day you wee granted to live; what would you most appreciate? Demonstrate your gratitude through some creative act offered to God. Sculpt, draw, or paint a picture; write a poem or story; dance or sing a song. As you allow this act of worship to flower, remember, it is not the quality of the finished product that counts, but your expression of love from a sincere heart. God receives our gifts as we would from our own wide-eyed children. If appropriate, display your work somewhere prominently in your home where you can reflect on it as a grateful offering to God.


*
*~*
*~*~*
*~*~*~*

\_/
~~~~~

So today on this day, 63 years after it began, I say,

Thanks be to God!!!
and
Wishing all a day of Gratitude!!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Birthday post!
    I love the idea of 'gratitude for sheer existence' and it really reflects how I have been feeling lately.
    Grateful for so many Blessings, too numerous to mention, and grateful just for sheer existence! And grateful to be Blessed with that gift when so many others may be living lives that are hardly any existence at all.
    It's humbling, really.

    HAPPY, BLESSED BIRTHDAY!
    Love and Prayers for a wonderful day!,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Cathy....from another December baby!!! And Happy Birthday to your son as well. December is such a full month for our family as well! Makes the celebrations even more festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW and I say it backwards...WOW, what a beautiful reflection on your birthday and what a blessing to share it with your child!

    May you have many, many special blessings on this day so close to His birthday celebration, Cathy and may you be blessed with many more loving birthdays.

    blessings and happy birthday hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happiest of belated wishes to you! Many many years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Cathy to you and your son..blessings my friend.....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday! and isn't it fun to share a birthday?

    Sugars was born on my 32nd birthday. only hard part is writing the wrong year when filling out forms.......oops sorry, you wanted MY birthday? you mean I DON'T look 2 years old??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Blessed Birthday, Cathy! You share that date with my parents' 47th anniversary yesterday! A great day all around!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank God for you, dear friend. Happy Belated Birthday Wishes and Blessings, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. happy birthday to you Cathy. I give thanks to God for your life too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated Birthday to you! This was a beautiful birthday reflection!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.