Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Music In Prayer

High Museum
Atlanta, GA
April, 2007



St. Augustine once said, "that a song sung, is a prayer prayed twice." So even when I am humming a song I am often reminded that I am, indeed praying the words as they run through my mind. Consider there are 150 Psalms. Early Christians recited them daily. Hear the Gregorian Chant during prayer. Music is centering. Music is harmony and discord. Music is life.

I reflected on these words by Archabbot Lambert Reilly, O.S.B. from his book Latin Sayings for Spiritual Growth.

Cantare amantis est
("To sing is characteristic of the lover")
St. Augustine

When one is in love one can't stand still and keep quiet. One must speak to the beloved. One must speak of him. And sometimes, filled with the love that is too much for words, one must sing.

The Psalms are our love songs to God. Some are attributed to King David, others to unknown figures, all of whom bring forth tin their songs all the sentiments, emotions, feelings, and desires that anyone who knows love is able to experience.

It is the Spirit who inspires the lover and it is the lover who sings the glorious dependence on the Lord God in the Psalms, the prayer book of the Holy spirit.

But I will sing of thy might;
I will sing aloud of the steadfast
love in the morning.
For thou has been to me a
fortress and a refuge in the
day of my distress.
O my Strength, I will sing praises
to thee, for thou, O God, art
my fortress, the God who shows
me steadfast love.
~Psalm 59:16-17~


So it is as a lover of God, one's music becomes a gentle offering of prayer. Voices lifted in praise, thanksgiving, petition and repentance, like incense, rise to heaven as an offering to the Almighty God! Whether gifted in voice and music or not, one should not be restrained from offering this gift. And so I say to one and all, "SING!!!"

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

9 comments:

  1. This is so true. I've often felt most moved during a song of Praise.
    Beautiful post.
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, this is just a beautiful post and how very true, I have often felt this exact same way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely wonderful post. Thank you! I too am very moved by songs.
    Beautiful post. I hope you have a lovely and blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy what a beautiful post, and the music is wonderful. We all should sing and pray often, it brings such a calm and reassures us of God and his presence...thank you my friend for sharing.....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will always sing, it is SUCH a wonderful gift. Thanks Cathy, great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh girl, you don't need to tell me to sing!!! matter of fact...you might need to tell me when to shut up!! hahahaha.

    wonderful ponderings on song and prayer.

    my mother (the Methodist choir director) always says that the hymns are the people's scripture...as when life gets hard you can't always quote chapter and verse...but you will remember a hymn.

    and here's my addition: music touches the soul in a place that nothing else can reach. And if you don't believe that I'd like to tell you a story or two about a boy who couldn't talk..........and a momma's desperate attempts to teach him words......

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Cantare amantis est"...
    "To sing is characteristic of the lover."
    (St. Augustine)

    What a beautiful thought to carry through the day.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Couldn't agree more, Cathy! I have sometimes heard people say that "Catholics don't sing", but I've attended many parishes over the years, and I can't say that's been true of any of them! Glorious song, whether Gregorian Chant, Praise and Worship, Marian hymns, on and on...our voices rise to the heavens. Someday, we will hear the celestial choirs - can you imagine - and we'll join in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I also read some of your
    posts and I find it very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.