Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Road to Providence


As I have journeyed this Road to Providence these last months I learned early on that one can define oneself, if she so desires, in poetry. I learned from reading and practice that one can pray, reflect and learn in the poetic form, Cinquain.

The term "CINQUAIN" (pronounced SING-cane, the plural is "cinquains") as applied by modern poets most correctly refers to a form invented by the American poet Adelaide Crapsey ( William Soutar,the Scots poet,was also a prolific writer thereof). The first examples of hers were published in 1915 in The Complete Poems, roughly a year after her death. Her cinquain form was inspired by Japanese haiku and Tanka (a form of Waka).
Wikipedia


I personally enjoy this form. And I thank Laura at Catholic Teacher Musings had no idea what an influence she would be on me when she started Bad Haiku Friday! Since then I have found a lot of solace in writing poetry.

My offering today is this:

Cinquain on Providence

Gifted
Loving destiny
Omnipotence of God
Journey

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

6 comments:

  1. It's just beautiful.
    I have always been in awe at the power of words. One word can convey a host of feelings.
    And I've often thought that with prayer, one word uttered and God Knows the soulful meaning lifted up to Him along with it.
    Thanks for sharing this.
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy you are amazing, I had never heard of this kind of writing, I love learning new things....thank you for sharing my friend....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful!
    And I learned something new (Cinquain). :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have heard of this form of poetry before and it is truly lovely. Sometimes the shortest of poems causes the most thought.

    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice - i'm dwelling on "omnipotence of God"

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.