Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Honest Scrap Award

My sincere thanks to Lisa at Are We There Yet and Eileen at Umma's World for this delightful award. Both of these ladies offer me a place to go and enjoy the environment and down home friendliness. I will try to do justice by them in accepting this award and sharing a bit of who I am.

Rules:

1) Say thanks and give a link to the presenter of the award.
2) Share "ten honest things" about myself.
3) Present this award to 7 others whose blogs I find brilliant in content and/or design, or those who have encouraged me.
4) Tell those 7 people that they've been awarded HONEST SCRAP and inform them of these guidelines in receiving it.


Ten Insights I may not have shared before:

1) I knit, crochet, embroider, and do counted x-stitch (not all at the same time) but cannot skillfully use a sewing machine. My poor mother really tried, but I am totally inept!

2) I played the organ at church for 5 years, but found it to be the most difficult thing I ever had to do. I felt as if I never celebrated Mass on Sunday because I was so concerned about "getting it right." I am grateful I was able to assist in this ministry, but am most grateful to have passed it on to another.

3) I take real pleasure in being a part of the RCIA process here at St. John the Baptist Church. Being "used" in the preparation of those entering the Catholic faith has been one of my great joys. Witnessing the work of the Spirit in the lives of those choosing to enter is a thrill!

4) I love to travel. Will spend a good deal of this summer on the road! YEAH!

5) I have 5 children born in four different states, Colorado, California, Oklahoma and Indiana.

6) When in nursing school I found that the worst patients in the hospital were the Dr. and nurse. I was determined that when I was in the hospital I would not be demanding and bad humored. I hope I was successful.

7) Giving birth in a military hospital is an interesting experience. One is not allowed to lie around and feel sorry for oneself. The next day the corpsman comes in with your sheets and towels and gives them to you so you can get ready for breakfast. You shower, change your sheets and then get breakfast. (That was 30 years ago so I'm not sure if it has changed.) Not much time to develop postpartum blues.

8) I enjoyed Forensic and Debate in high school. There's a lot to be said for being able to stand in front of a group, perform, and take the criticism...Like American Idol?

9) Would much rather watch a live sporting event than watch it on TV...No on can hear me yell when I'm home alone watching!

10) One of my favorite flowers is the day lily! When we were in NC this last weekend I saw BLANKETS of day lilies on the highway medians!!!! It was glorious. I just wish I could have gotten a picture to show you all!!!!!

Now for the hand-off (football term)!

Abbey at Abbey's Road

Anita at Castles, Crown and Cottages

Eileen at Eileen on Him...at least I try!

Dorothy at Musing at 85

Jennifer at My Chocolate Heart

Sarah at Ora et Labora--Journey of Truth

Esther at A Catholic Mom in Hawaii

It just occurred to me that two of the women above are in Hawaii! INTERESTING!

~~~^j^~~~

For all this fun and ecxcitment I say,
"Thanks again
and
Thanks be to God!!!"


9 comments:

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed this, Cathy, loved how you said you didn't do all those things at the same time.

    Funny that I can knit and crochet, macrame and other crafts, but I cannot sew either. In my Catholic H.S., if you were college bound you were not allowed to take sewing, home economics, typing etc., so I blame it on that...:o)

    I also taught CCD and marriage prep as well as Confirmation classes, but haven't done RCIA yet.

    Also loved cheering my son on when he was doing high school wrestling and I sure can get loud and excited (my son said he could hear me in the crowd!)



    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!
    I enjoyed this list!
    I so admire anyone who can crochet, knit, cross-stitch, etc. as I am all thumbs.

    And I found it so interesting about not really being able to participate in the Mass while you were an organist. I never thought about that.
    And another thing that caught my attention was the military hospital! Wow!

    You've led a very interesting life, and you have a true servant's heart.
    I really enjoy coming here to visit and getting to know you better.

    I like Day Lilies too, they were my Mom's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Cathy, very well deserved my friend. I really enjoyed your 10 things list. I do the readings at Mass and our church is called St John the Baptise as well. In fact the church is over 100 years old and is one of the main attractions in town.......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Cathy! I really enjoyed reading your list of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY DEAREST! I just wanted to skip by to say hello to my dear Cathy, and wow, I see my name in this award list! You are so kind my dear! I must read this closer and proceed later on in the day; I have a long tutoring session today with my students and I will be back home late, but your thoughtfulness is much appreciated! God bless you,Anita

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was lovely to read! Five kids in five states - impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first married I love to cross-stitch; in fact, our first tree was comprised of ornaments all done in cross-stitch.

    It's been years . . . but I should pick it up again.

    Fun list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm cross stitching like a maniac these days . . . I will add to my award (given me also by another blogger) that you've also bestowed this on me. Mahalo! Many blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Cathy! I enjoyed reading your list. I think things have changed slightly in military hospitals. I've given birth in three different ones, and I've never been handed my own sheets the next day! Had complicated deliveries, too, and thankfully, all were handled well.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.