Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Praying with St. Paul...


As the Year of St. Paul is winding down I would like to share this reflection with you about Mother Teresa of Calcutta. It is a lesson in perseverance, courage and strength.

Be My Light
by Father James Martin, S.J.

"God who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness" has shone in our
hearts to bring to light the knowledge of the glory of God on
the face of [Jesus] Christ."
(2 Cor 4:6)

The title of Mother Teresa's posthumous collection of letters is Come Be My Light. Yet ironically, her letters speak more about darkness than light. For the last fifty years of her life, the woman now called Blessed Teresa of Calcutta suffered from an intense sense of spiritual darkness. Her prayer seemed empty, futile, fruitless. God seemed absent. This "dark night" was all the more striking given the mystical experiences that she had enjoyed earlier in life. In 1946, she literally heard the voice of Jesus asking her to leave the Sisters of Loreto to found a new religious order, the Missionaries of Charity.

What was Mother Teresa's response to this long interior darkness? Fidelity, she maintained the commitment she made to God, who had asked her to "be my light" among the poor. In time, Mother Teresa realized that the darkness was one way of experiencing the abandonment that Christ faced on the cross, and that the poor face daily. And the Albanian-born nun recognized that the very longing for God is a sign of God's presence.

Many of us, when confronted with the darkness of life--spiritual, emotional, professional, or otherwise--mistakenly believe that it is punishment from God. Sometimes we even use it as an excuse not to do the hard work of the Christian life--being compassionate, loving, and merciful. Mother Teresa's arduous but ultimately joyful life shows us that following Christ depends not simply on our emotional experiences, important as they are, but on our fidelity, our trust in God's will, and our ability to surrender to the future that God has in store for us. And then, in the midst of the darkness, we are able to be God's light.

Loving God, sometimes the way is so dark and it is so hard to find you. Please help me to trust in you even when you don't seem present. And help me to see your presence in my life soon.

~~~~~
And so it is that I too must be faithful, even when I don't experience joy and satisfaction in prayer. For me it is not a matter that God is not listening. I find myself making the excuse that the prayer is too frivilous. Not so. I'm not being punished. I'm not abandoned. I must tell myself often that I am resting on the Father's lap while I am being taught the art of persevence, compassion, and love. Though I may fail at every turn, when the answer does come it will come with grace in abundance from the hands of a generous Father. I often ask myself. Why should I be less privileged to suffer, than the one who saved me, the only begotten Son of God, Jesus Christ? Indeed, if he could suffer death for me, why not I for him. In many ways we are spoiled by the Father and don't even acknowledge it.

~~~^j^~~~

For the opportunity to participate
in the life of the Savior,
Thanks be to God!


9 comments:

  1. This was so interesting. I had read about Mother Teresa and how she was 'depressed' at the end of her life but I had no idea she carried that burden for so long! I always read and think about people maintaining their faith throughout physical illness, but I never really think about the courage and perseverance it takes to maintain your faith throughout emotional/mental ailments.

    This post was enlightening. And as always Mother Teresa is a help-mate in so many spiritual ways. And so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an impressive and thoughtful post. Reminded me of the "Footprints" prayer where God is always there even when we don't think He is. It is important to remember that God's presence is also in others and to draw comfort from Him in that way when we feel "alone".

    blessings always,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't think of any public figure in my lifetime that I admire more than Mother Teresa. Her faithfulness despite the darkness is something I pray I will be emulate should God ever choose to remove himself from my awareness. I must remember - as she did - that even if it seems he is absent, he is always with me.

    Lo I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, I come away from visiting you spiritually refreshed.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was and still am a fan of Mother Teresa. Your post was wonderful today and caused me to reflect on my own relationship with God.....without him I am nothing. Have a wonderful day....
    :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. i need to hear this today thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so relate with "THE WAY IS SO DARK AND IT IS SO HARD TO FIND YOU GOD."

    I FEEL THIS WAY AT TIME RIGHT NOW AFTER KNOWING THAT MY HUSBAND'S CO-WORKER ABORTED HER BABY.

    SO SAD AND FEEL LIKE IT IS SO DARK. I KNOW GOD IS THERE.

    LOVE TO YOU AND THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL POST! YOU ARE SO AWESOME AND A TRUE GIFT FROM GOD.

    KIMBELRY

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.