Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Saint Teresa of the Andes and Carmelites of Chile

Juanita Fernandez Solar was born to a wealthy family on July 10 1900, in Santiago, Chile. Devoted to her faith and inspired by the autobiography of Saint Therese of Lisieux, she entered the cloistered community of the Discalced Carmelites ... She was given the name of Sister Therea of Jesus. Her deep spiritual life was revealed in the many letters she wrote while in the convent.

But Teresa's life as a religious was to be short. She died...less than a year later during Holy Week, on April 12, 1920, a few months before her 20th birthday.

She was canonized in 1993.

The Little Black Book
Lent, 2009


***

Thanks be to God!

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting!! thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saint Therese of Liseux is my Patron Saint and I love her with all my heart. I enjoyed reading about Saint Teresa of the Andes ... I follow and donate to the Carmelites ever since adopting St. Therese into my spiritual life.

    Blessings,
    Abbey

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.