Saturday, August 23, 2008

Latin Moment

Sunset leaving Dublin, 2005


I felt the urge for some Latin this morning as part of my reflection, so I went to my favorite book Latin Sayings for Spiritual Growth by Archabbot Lambert Reilly, O.S.B. To this I was lead.

Si Deus pronobis, quis contra nos?

("If God is for us, who can be against us?")
St. Paul ( Romans 8:31)

~~~+~~~

God has revealed His love for us in the person of Jesus Christ. St. Paul tells us that "neither death, nor life, nor angels, not principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38, 39)

Suffering could be added to the list. God does not promise freedom from suffering for His friends. In fact, there's no doubt we will suffer, as Jesus Himself did. "The Cross is the gift I give to my friends," is what the Lord told St. Terese of Avila.

Although that which is difficult will be regularly ours, God's sustaining power enables us to conquer in His name, which means through His presence within us.

So here's where our hope lies: If God is with us--and the difficulty is a sign that He is--we can endure and overcome. No enemy has a chance if he is opposing God, and if God is with us, no enemy has a chance to conquer us. +

***
Hope, that gift so often hidden. Hope, that I will be the best God has to offer to others. Hope, the will to start a NEW day!

~~~~~~~

Thanks be to God!!!

8 comments:

  1. Thankyou for sharing theses words of hope today.

    Blessings :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely Irish sunset - hard to beat.
    Thanks, Cathy, for all you're saying here, which can be applied to each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!!! LOVE the sunset!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words for the start of a new week. I am going to buy that book.
    I think I need to "up" my Latin game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful encouragement, thank you. And the photo is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just received my copy of Latin Sayings for Spritual Growth. I LOVE IT. I am so excited to share it with my students.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.