Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Navajo Rug

Picture by marymactavish


I found the most wonderful reflection today. I was reading Radical Grace: Daily Meditations by Richard Rohr, O.F.M. The subject is perfection. I readily identified with this. A lot of voices from the past started talking to me. "You got a 98% on the test. Why didn't you get 100%?" "You played that song well. But I heard a mistake as you began." From family to teacher to friends, we go through life looking for validation in one way or another and seldom find it.

The Navajo Rug

In a Navajo rug there is always an imperfection woven into the corner. And interestingly enough, it's where "the Spirit moves in and out of the rug." The pattern is perfect and then there's one part of it that clearly looks like a mistake. The Semite mind, the Eastern mind (which, by the way, Jesus would have been much closer to) understands perfection in precisely that way.

Perfection is not the elimination of imperfection. that's our Western either/or, need-to-control thinking. Perfection, rather, is the ability to incorporate imperfection! There's no other way to live: You either incorporate imperfection, or you fall into denial. That's how the Spirit moves in or out of our lives.

From Breathing Under Water:Spirituality and the 12 Steps

I believe I learned today that my life is a Navajo rug. It has it's flaws. But God made me. The flaws that occur are mine. The flaws are there because I "live." Though the ones who love me have long tried to mend and repair me in their own ways, I am the only one, with my God, who can truly make it right. It is consoling to know that the Creator's "Spirit moves in and out" of me.

Just as when I have completed a project and am most pleased with its outcome, some one will/would come to me and point out an error/errors. It used to embarrass me or make me angry with myself because I failed to find the mistake. But I soon learned that when this error was pointed out to me, someone had really paid attention to my work. Now, whether intentional or not, I get a certain amount of satisfaction in hearing about them as that means they READ it, noticed the work. Now, there are times I even do it do it on purpose. So, too, I can continue on the road to perfection without carrying most the old baggage by which I have been heavy laden. I can let go of it and start anew. Then the Spirit becomes the proof-reader of the next chapter of my "book."

So, feel free to proof read and make corrections!!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!

17 comments:

  1. "Then the Spirit becomes the proof-reader of the next chapter of my 'book.'"

    ... now that is quotable!!!!

    One of the dandiest (where did that word come from?) things about growing older is that we're learning to lay down so much of the unnecessary stuff in order to free our arms and hands to embrace ourselves and others!!!!!!

    Okay, so here goes .........

    {{{HUG}}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. aselah,many thanks for the warm ((HUG)). It is so great to get/give one and they are so inexpensive...Good day to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What abeautiful reflection. And it's so funny because I was just thinking along such similar lines and had even posted on it just before I came to visit.
    Great minds hey ~smile :)
    Perfection doesn't always look "perfect"
    Jesus is with us through it all. Loving our imperfect selves with his perfect love.
    God Bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds, indeed, suzyq, but look who is in charge...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea of a little space for the Holy Spirit to travel in and out. How much we need that in our lives! Yes, Cathy, I can identify very much with the Navajo rug types - sure I'm one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh. thank you for sharing...that was amazing. One things I am learning and telling myself...I'm not perfect...flaws are ok... I have just a month ago learned how to crochet...I had a hard time learing something that comes SO easily for others, I finally by a blessed friend was taught how, and I am making a small throw for my bed, I showed it to her, and told her it has flaws, it's not perfect, it's ok, I have flaws, I'm not perfect, and that's ok too, and I refuse to pick apart my work, or allow any one else too, and I am quite proud of what I have acomplished, and as is the one who taught me, and she agreed, and when I do try to pick it apart, she reminds me the flaws really are ok, and they are, God made me with flaws, and I made the afagan with flaws, and it's all wonderful. :) Thanks again for the reminder....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think, Ann, the Holy Spirit is a friend who has "the key to the house" and can come and go as he pleases...I like that analogy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent reflection Cathy:)
    If there was one word I'd strike from the dictionary it would be failure.
    People do not fail, they learn from experience and what does not work is a learning technique and an opportunity to do better:).

    You have such nuggets of wisdom on your blog. I love visit it daily:) when I can:). God blesss you.

    Peace & love to you always:)

    Marie xooxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree failure is not a word that should be used to describe anything that doesn't work. My goodness, what I have learned by making mistakes! Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post is perfect considering the Lab oops from Tues. I try very very hard to have perfect grades and it nearly made me sick during this last semester. Thank you for letting me know that its ok or even perfect not to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog, Cathy.
    It seems like many cultures, though distant, have like religious concepts and cultural ways.
    A friend who quilts told me not too long ago that the Amish quilters also have that intentional flaw in their work out of humility.
    Great spiritual application in this post. Thanks for crafting it for us today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My thanks to you, too, teresa!! Good evening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathy and teresa_anawim, here in Ontario I have been told that the Mennonites also incorporate a mistake into every quilt. Their reason is a little different from the Richard Rohr statement that perfection is being able to incorporate imperfection - it's as teresa said about the Amish, out of humility, and to signify that they know that only God is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was struck with the fact that it IS a blogging COMMUNITY!
    When I click on various spirituality blogs on the internet, I bump into familiar bloggers everywhere from all over the world who communicate via this media each day or weekly. It is wonderful to have this, isn't it?
    Thanks 'grandmak' for this fine blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great inpiration you gave me today! Thank you, I really needed to read this. I am lucky enough have a navajo rug!!!

    I have a great story that is too long to put in this post, I will try to email it to you when I get a chance.

    God Bless,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this idea of imperfections. i remember when God taught me about art and how we start with a blank canvas and we just add until we are happy with what we see. it's not always pretty every step of the way. i have many "corners" in my life, for sure!!

    thanks for the prayers. love, lisa xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.