Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"The Light That Lifts Us Up"

Washington Monument at Night
September, 2006


There are some books that are good to read from cover to cover and then there is the book that once read, you pick up to read in bits and pieces. And so it was that I returned to one of my favorite books today and read this from Living the Mysteries, A Guide for Unfinished Christians by Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina. So I would like to share this with you.

Eustathia, Ambrosia, and Basilissa were three women who had consecrated their lives to God. St Gregory wrote to give them advise and encouragement in the ways of prayer. In one brief passage, he sums up the difference God made by becoming human. He enlightened our lives. He made us divine. This is what it means to be saved.

"When the sun plunges his beam into the gloom, he doesn't dim the beam's brightness. Instead, the beam changes the darkness into light. So also the true Light, shining in our gloom, was not overshadowed, but rather enlightened the gloom by means of itself.

Our humanity was in darkness. As Scripture says: 'They have neither knowledge nor understanding, they walk about in darkness' (Ps 82:5). Then the Illuminator of this darkened world darted the beam of His divinity through our whole composite nature, through both soul and body, and so He took all humanity by means of His own light, and He lifted it up and made it just what He is Himself. This divinity was not made perishable, though it inhabited a perishable body, so neither was it changed, though it healed all that was changeful in our soul.

St. Gregory of Nyssa


I was wondering as I read this, isn't it funny that just the other day I was thinking about my soul and how it needs to be tended. And here are the words of encouragement to which I was guided. Because of the saving power of God through the life, death and resurrection of His Son and through Baptism my soul is divine. It will not perish. And on any given day, the light divine is what people see in me when I "practice what I preach." Pray for me, as I pray for you, that the light might shine bright in his glory. Amen!

~~~~^j^~~~~

Thanks be to God!



8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of tending our souls. That's very beautiful, and something we all need to do.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what is so beautiful about God's light. No matter how great the darkness it cannot over come it.
    All darkness must eventually be transformed into light.
    :)
    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bia. I think sometimes I spend to much time complaining about the faults of others over which I have not control. Wake up, Cathy! Work on yours!

    Suzy! have been sorely missed!!! Thank you for your visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely reflection..We need to see the Hand of God in everything especially in adversity.

    Thanks Cathy for another thought provoking piece:).

    Peace & love to you:)

    Marie xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's no coincidence that you came across this piece of writing when you did ,Cathy, as you yourself say you were thinking about soul - tending and the next thing you know you found this beautiful piece of writing.
    No matter how many times we hear about light and darkness and how God being light, overcomes evil, being darkness, it seems we never tire of it. It seems we need to hear it, for by words like those you've chosen we ourselves are enlightened and reassured and our path is lightened too! Food and maintenance all in one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy,

    Thank you for an inspiring post. We all have work to do on our souls( especially me!!!); but knowing that Our Lord is our Master Gardener gives us hope and comfort.He waters the lovely flowers in the garden of our souls and helps us to get rid of the nasty weeds that drag us down.

    What a lovely picture of the monument.

    God Bless,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that when you all come into my garden that the flowers of my soul seem much refreshed! Thank you all so very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Grandma K,
    This is my first visit to your blog. I was searching for info about Living the Mysteries to share with a group of women I am meeting with at St. John's in the morning to discuss this book. What a surprise to see a link to St. John's also from your site... I wonder is we have met? Have a good evening and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.