Saturday, May 17, 2008

Kellie is Fourteen

Kellie, May 17, 1994

Today Kellie is 14. She was our first grandchild and God only knows where the last 14 years have gone. Today she is a beautiful young lady who is graceful and filled with the love of music and dance. She volunteers helping with Children's Sunday School at St Joseph Church and sings in the choir. It has been a blessing for us to watch her grow and mature into the person she has become. Her birthday also happens to coincide with an appropriate reflection by Amy Welborn in A Catholic Woman's Book of Days.

Then he appeared to more than five hundred
brothers and sisters at one time, most of
whom are still alive, tough some have died.
~1 Corinthians 15:6~

When I was about thirteen years old, my previously clean-shaven father grew a handlebar mustache and took to wearing striped, bell-bottom pants (it was 1973).

I was distressed and actually a little angry. I remember thinking--although I don't know if I ever said it out loud--that he just didn't look like a Dad anymore.

The Gospels and Paul tell us that after the Resurrection, Jesus appeared to many. All who saw him had some difficulty recognizing or accepting him. Their faith had to take them a step or two beyond their previous experience and expectations in order to really see Jesus.

When I look, is there something preventing me from seeing Jesus for who he is?

Lord Jesus, bring me close to you in faith.

I would also offer for reflection this verse.

Jesus said to her," Woman why are you weeping? Whom are you looking for?" She thought it was a gardener and said to him, "Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, and I will take him." Jesus said to her, "Mary!" [And she recognized Jesus.]
John 20:15-16

You see there are times when I look back at the pictures of Kellie and my other grandchildren and remember with delight how they were. And because I don't get to see most of them as often as I would like, the next time I do see them they have changed in stature and maturity. I don't recognize the child as they were before and a part of me doesn't want them to change. I want them to stay a wee child and...I guess it makes me sad. Yes, indeed they must grow, change and mature. And when I see their success, I cheer and thank God (with a tear in my eye!) heartily! That's when I know I must rely the Spirit and his good judgment and once again understand who is in control.

I think the illustration above is much like that. Jesus enters our live in many ways. But am I open to his presence? I hope so, too! For he does not always appear to be the same. Well, (sigh) to be honest...I know I miss the presence more than I care to admit. The reality is, it is up to me to GROW and MATURE (though I am still mostly young) so that I can be in His presence and know it. Yep, that's it!!! And in reflecting on Kellie's birthday today and her beautiful life I too have grown-up just a little more, I hope.

SOOOO...

Happy Birthday, Kellie!
and
Thanks be to God!!

10 comments:

  1. Aww! Happy Birthday Kellie!
    What a sweet baby picture. I can imagine how beautiful she is now.

    They just grow up too fast don't they!

    Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much tooooo fast...thank you, Suzy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Kellie! May God bless her and our blessed Mother protect her always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KELLIE! No wonder she is the way she is because of what you project to her, Cathy. Only good trees bear good fruits!

    I am amazed at how well you connect life events to scriptures to come up with beautiful reflections!

    I will be honored to see this wonderful blog added to my sidebar. Here I go...

    BTW, I have said this before and I reiterate: I am thankful to you for visiting Cy's blog. You have a wonderful way of inspiring the mind and touching heart of the young!

    God bless you abundantly, dear beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. esther, thank you for your kind words.

    easter a. It is a privilege to be added to your side bar...also a privilege to visit Cy. He is a delight!!

    God Bless you ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie,
    Happy Birthday to Kellie!

    Hey, I am a registered nurse and am a Hoosier. I was raised in Central Indiana (Elwood) and my lived in Chesterton, IN. I use to work as a Hospice RN for the VNA of Porter Co. and then for St. Margaret Mercy.,

    GOD Bless you!

    KIMberly, Awesome God

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful baby, and I'm sure she'd a beautiful young lady! It's the same for my kids with my parents, they haven't had a chance to see each other much over the years, and everytime they do, the kids are more and more adult and my parents are moving forward just as fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Kimberly. Thank you for the good wishes...

    Pia, Isn't aging a constant surprise?! Thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, Cathy! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Kellie enjoyed her birthday last week. To be young and free!

    May she have all the blessings she deserves!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.