Friday, April 04, 2008

Words of Wisdom...


Dorchester, Oxfordshire,
Abbey of SS. Peter and Paul
by gordonplumb



I took out a book I had gotten as a gift a couple of year ago and was browsing...(Yes, I browse more than the computer.) It is a book published by Hallmark and it is called, God's Little Instruction Book. I came upon these words.

Blessed is he who, having nothing to say,
refrains from giving wordy evidence
of the fact.


It was accompanied by this Scripture verse.

The tongue of the wise uses knowledge aright:
but the mouth of fools pours out
foolishness.
Proverbs 15:2


Feeling certain that browsing usually brings me to where I am supposed to be at any given time, I suppose that these words are meant to remind me, again, (as I am often reminded) to think before I speak! There are occasions when I do think, but more often than not I have already said it. Then it is too late to grab those words already floating out in space for all eternity. My only consolation is that they are floating out there with others and maybe they will join in one grander composition of wisdom! You know, a universal effort to be "wise."

***+***

Have a grand day
and
Thanks be to God!

9 comments:

  1. I am laughing a wee bit here, Cathy, because I literally just read some bloviated opinions from someone which really was a turn off to me the reader.

    This post is excellent and I so appreciate your sharing it today! I desire to be a better gate keeper of my tongue/mouth too, having consumed my far share of shoe leather!!!! Listening is way too under-valued me thinks. Have a lovely day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,

    What a wise post!

    It is when we are most silent that we hear the quiet whisper of God's gentle voice.

    So, it makes sense that when we are yapping foolishly; we are not hearing God's voice. We should all incorporate less talk and more listening.

    Have a Blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tagged you today :)
    http://iamhisbeloved.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/oooh-a-meme/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in guided wisdom...He is always holding my hand. Thank you. Mike, I love James Taylor music. This was the best I could do and it wasn't too bad. AutumnRose thanks for the tag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, are you also from Ireland? I'm sorry I don't know. I have a dear friend who's Irish and teaches at one of our universities. His last name is O'Keefe. I would love to pass on your site to him.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, this is exactly what I needed to read today. I need to read this everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessed is he who, having nothing to say,
    refrains from giving wordy evidence
    of the fact.

    How absolutely true..Also at times it is simple wisdom to remain silent when chaos surrounds one. Thankyou for this Cathy:).

    Peace & love to you

    Marie xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  8. easter a. I have roots in Ireland but alas, I was born in Denver and find that my pilgrimage has brought me to Indiana. My heart fairly yearns for another visit, as the first was much too short. My heart is torn between the Mile High State and Ireland, but you know life is just as grand in Indiana...God is Good!

    Esther, I'm so glad I could give you what you needed today...YOU often supply me with much needed wisdom.

    Thank you Marie...I should have more "simple silence". I wish I could quiet my brain!

    Grand weekend to all!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.