Tuesday, December 18, 2007

How long is Advent...

This is the title of an interesting section in The Little Blue Book distributed to us on the First Sunday of Advent at church. The Little Blue Book is based on the writings of Bishop Ken Untener who was inspired to create the Little Books for the people of his Diocese of Saginaw. Since his death in 2004 The Little Books have been a legacy carried on by Catherine Haven with the help of Sr. Nancy Ayotte, IHM. The book is full of wonderful reflection and instruction. This was yesterday's entry.

How long is Advent?

Advent begins on the fourth Sunday before December 25. It always has four Sundays, but the total number of days can vary. For example:
*If Christmas falls on Monday, then Advent last three weeks and a day.
*If Christmas falls on a Sunday, Advent lasts four full weeks

*******

Regardless of when Advent begins, every year the same Scripture reading are used for weekdays from December 17-24. The Gospels on those days describe the events leading up to the birth of Christ:

**December 17: The genealogy of Jesus (Matthew)
**December 18: The annunciation to Joseph (Matthew)
**December 19: The annunciation to Zechariah (Luke)
**December 20: The annunciation of Mary (Luke)
**December 21: Mary's visit to Elizabeth (Luke)
**December 22: Mary's "Magnificat" (Luke
**December 23: The birth of John the Baptist (Luke)
**December 24: The "Benedictus" of Zechariah (Luke)

~~~~~~

It's a map for the journey to Bethlehem. Isn't it great to have a "AAA Trip tick" set forth by the church for this journey? Isn't it funny that I had to have this itinerary pointed out to me? (Shaking my head!) The Church certainly knows how to give a wonderful guided tour!

~*~*~*~*~
Thanks be to God!!!

8 comments:

  1. Yes! Indeed thanks be to God. And thankyou.

    Peace to you & Merry Christmas,

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome and Blessed Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought of advent as 4 weeks - simply because there are 4 candles to be lit :-)

    Please forgive me if my visit to you blog in the next couple of weeks will be slightly intermittent, as I am home in Manila spending some lovely time with my closest and dearest, while basking in the sun. Your visits to my blog/s, however, are much appreciated!

    joy
    Norwich Daily Photo
    The Goddess In You
    Your Love Coach

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, much peace and joy to you as visit with your loved ones! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this from the Little Book series of the Diocese of Saginaw? If so, I loved that series when the Bishop wrote them. I am sorry but I forgot his last name. He passed away.

    Have a very Mele Kalikimaka!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it is the Little Book series. They are really wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know they were still publishing them. Nice to know. BTW, I am adding you to my side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! It is a privilege that you should add me to you "Blarney Corner"...

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.