Thursday, December 11, 2014

Joy in the Memories





Today I join Meri for Share the Joy.   For I believe we need to find it in my life every day no matter the realities in which we live.  God is Good in so many ways even in times of trial.

Joy comes in many forms.
And this day has the potential of
being just as grand as
celebrating the beauty in
all that surrounds me.



must be open to it!

           
~~~~~
It's been a number of months since I've ventured here.  But now that I am retired I am going to try to rejoin this community with eagerness and anticipation.  Joy comes to me in the strength and integrity of this tree on grounds of Saint Mary-or-the Woods, home to the Sisters of Providence, Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College and, most importantly, the shrine of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin, founderess of the congregation.  This tree was well over a hundred years old when it finally had to be cut down.  There is sorrow in that because an old friend has passed.  On the other hand, the joy I get from the memories far outweighs the sorrow.  I am a graduate of SMWC and a Providence Associate. Walking the campus, praying with the sisters and gathering on retreat with Associate sisters and brothers is such a JOYFUL time.  So it is that I anticipate a weekend of JOY as I "retreat" to The Woods to gather in community of prayer and reflection!
~~~~~~
Strong and gnarled tree
Comfort for the weary
Shelter for us all

For those who labor
Shade from the sun and heat
Beautiful branches
~~~

There is nothing so beautiful as memories of times past and nothing more exciting than anticipating the joy in new memories!!!

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!!!

Cathy

Please visit Rebecca at recuerda mi corazon for Haiku My Heart. There is always more beautiful words  there to enchant and encourage!!! 




I will also be joining Weekend Reflections for the first time.  You might want to visit as well.



17 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you are in a good place -- may your retreat bring you peace and joy . The blessings of the season to you, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cathy, it is good to see you again! Congratulations on furthering this calling of your heart. And I also grieve the passing of this beloved tree. They are such special companions on this earth. We are having huge storms here in Northern California and one of my favorite trees came down yesterday... I think of them now with wings and dancing in the air... Have a wonderful retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about the storms you are having. We were lucky to live in Burlingame for a year and we did so love our sojourns in to San Francisco. My prayers are with you!!

      Delete
  3. Very nice tree but where is/are the reflection(s)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mistook the word "reflection" meaning in words as well as photo...my 1st time today. Hope to do better next time! Thank you for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  4. losing that tree would be a loss for sure. many blessings on your retreat...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best wishes and prayers to you and your family Cathy. May you have a Blessed Christmas and a Splendid New Year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful Cathy… welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a grand old tree! (And congrats on the retirement.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic tree shot. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your retirement! I hope you find time to enjoy this peaceful place you have created for us all! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post and excellent photo which the tree seems very "open" to the blessings around ~ nature is such a good teacher ~ xoxoxo

    Happy Weekend to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. walking where you walk sounds like a slice of heaven to me Cathy!
    what a beautiful picture of your dear friend Tree. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. reminds me o f a book from my childhood - the giving tree

    ReplyDelete
  13. a beautiful way to open any day

    have a nice weekend

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  14. May your soul find the rest for which it hungers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. dearest cathy,
    i am so happy to welcome you back, you have been missed! i love this tree and your memories of it. i love the prospect of finding you here with us each friday! you are a bright and shining light.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.