Tuesday, July 27, 2010

~Adventure Tour Express~



When I was considering an adventure to share I thought I might share what I think has become my first real adventure and it entailed a lot of moving. I had never lived very far from home. And even though I was not living has home when I was in nursing school, I went home nearly every weekend.   Ron and I married after graduation and then along came wee child, Laura.  Adventures are like that you know.  Then in January, 1970 Ron received his commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers.  And so this adventure begins!



Ron's Commissioning Ceremony
Originally uploaded by MeteoriteMan2010


Ron's first orders were to Ft. Belvoir, Virginia. So our journey began with a trek from Englewood, Colorado to Alexandria,Virginia. This was when I first realized what being homesick was all about. We lived in a furnished apartment. Ron was gone all day and it was just Laura and me. We'd go for walks and play, she'd nap and I'd read. No phone. One day I walked with Laura to the supermarket and make a phone call to Mom just to say hi! Silly I guess but I'd not gone weeks without talking to her.

Soon one day Ron came home and told me he had orders to Ft. Carson, Colorado!  We were going home!!!!  Even more exciting we were expecting again and so we had terrific news to share with family and friends!

So in June we packed up again and moved to Ft. Carson.  We were able to visit his family that lived there in Colorado Springs and travel north to Denver to visit my family there.  It was an adventure in itself just being a military wife.  The day our furniture arrived Ron was on maneuvers for a week...Thank God for Sis, who helped manage Laura while I was checking all the boxes.

Again in October Ron came home and announced that the entire battalion was being moved to Ft. Ord, California.  The trip to Ft. Ord took us through Salt Lake City and then across the Salt Flats of Utah.  There is no place to stop between Salt Lake City and Wendover, Nevada...I was eight months pregnant.  (One learns to appreciate rest stops, especially when there are none. )

We lived in temporary quarters on post for a short time until we could rent an apartment and be placed on the post housing list.  We found a small apartment in Seaside and were there when David arrived on my 24th birthday and just 10 days before Christmas.  Just 3 months later we moved in to housing on post where we stayed for 3  years.

I will tell you honestly, that I learned more in that one year about who I was and what strengths I had then at any other time in my life.  We only moved 5 times that year.  And we had moved from coast to coast!

Ron and I were only in the Army for 3 1/2 years.    And I will also tell you that I admire families that must endure the rigors of military life as a career and do it with courage and strength.

For those who serve this country and that means the husband or wife who must stay home as well as the military personnel who serve abroad, I say, "God bless you every one!!!"

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!!
Please join in the fun! Share your adventure. I can hardly wait. Just link your post with Mr. Linky. I'll visit soon!

4 comments:

  1. Loved your story Cathy. I bet you went to nursing school at a hospital and received a Nursing Diploma and you could not be married. 2 of my best friends did that and I could not go because of my family situation so that is why I went to nursing school when I had 6 children and at a college and graduated in 1985. Took me that long to get my dream to be a nurse to come true. That was my second career. I was trained as an x-ray tech right out of high school. Did that for 25 years. Love this meme you started. Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) I added my Louisana Churches and Church Yards post to your tours!!

    I'll be back later to read everyone's links right now it's beddybye time.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Cathy I can't imagine how tough it must of been for you to be far from loved ones. I felt so sad when I read how you walked to the store to call your Mom.
    You have had so many varied experiences. They shine in your mature and inspiring faith, your constancy, friendship and the warmth of your heart.
    It must be so hard to be a military family. Quite a few of our close friends are military families and it causes such upheaval moving all the time. But love always pulls through and keeps people together somehow, no matter how far they may be in miles from those dear.
    Thank you for sharing your story :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.