Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Novena for Life IX

Montgomery Falls
Quebec, 2003



Day Nine
Meditating on the Gift of Life

Prayer
Father of life, may the mysteries of our Redemption stir us to contemplate with wonder the invincible hope which is our in the Gospel of Life.

A Reading form the book of Revelation 22:1-5
An angel showed me the river of life-giving water, sparkling like the crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of its street. On either side of the river grew the tree of life that produces fruit twelve times a year, once each month; the leaves of the tree serve a medicine for the nations. Nothing accursed will be found anymore. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it , and his servants will worship him. Night will be no more, nor will they need light from lamp or sun. for the Lord God shall give them light, and they shall reign forever and ever.

(silent reflection)

Prayer
God of all creation, may men and women of every time and place proclaim the Gospel of Life: a Gospel of God's love for us, a Gospel of human dignity.

A Reflection by Pope Benedict XVI*
[The] Eucharist is far more than just a meal; it has cost a death to provide it, and the majesty of death is present in it. Whenever we hold it, we should be filled with reverence in the face of this mystery, with awe in the face of this mysterious death that becomes a present reality in our midst...Death is the ultimate question...Only when this question is answered can men truly celebrate and be free. The Christmas feast, the Eucharist, plumbs the very depths of death. It is not just a matter of pious discourse and entertainment, of some kind of religious beautification, spreading, a pious gloss on the world; it plumbs the very depths of existence, which it calls death, and strikes out an upward path to life, the life that overcomes death.

Our Father...
Hail Mary...
Glory Be...

Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, God is Near Us: The Eucharist, the Heart of Life, p. 44


~~~~~~~

Spiritual Adoption prayer

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I love you very much. I beg you to
spare the life of ( Baby' s name) the unborn baby that I have
spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion."
- Prayer of Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen-
~*~*~*~*~*~



I have added this prayer that was first displayed by Kathy at Daily Grotto. It is an example of what to say when you desire to pray for a child you do not know and will never know, yet one who needs your prayers. I will be praying for "Matthew Thomas". I had decided that as soon as I read Kathy's plea.

And as God would have it, I had made the commitment to pray for "MT". Then my son, David, called to tell me he and his wife were going to the Dr. that day. Kelly is with child. This will be their 5th and I will be a grandmother once again. And so it is with joy I will be praying for two wee ones now. "Matthew Thomas" who I beg will be spared and another who will be loved and nurtured and cherished. God Is GOOD...all the time!

~~~~~~~
I truly say,
Thanks be to God!



Originally posted 1/24/2008

[Indeed, Maddie arrived healthy and happy August, 2008! TRULY, THANKS BE TO GOD!!]

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful! Thank you for sharing and congratulations.
    I am just coming out of being a bit sick and your post was the first I have read.
    It is all so much to take in, I am reeling. I will have to come back and re-read.
    I want to pray for spiritually adopted children in the womb -- so simple and powerful -- and I never thought of it before.
    Obviously people have been doing this because Arch Bishop Fulton Sheen suggested it . . .
    I am still so new at my faith sometimes.
    And the reflection by our Pope Benedict is wonderful. May I re-post part of it with a link back to you?
    And, I need to check out Daily Grotto.
    Thank you for this post! (Oh, and also for stopping by at Catholic Notebook.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very beautiful, thoughtful, sincere and highly inspiring prayers to our Heavenly Father. Thank you for posting such treasures. May God bless you in all that you do. You have an uplifting and refreshing blog here. Please, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been comforting reading through the Novena days you've posted, Cathy. "Invincible hope". Something we must truly all support each other in. Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, Congratulations! And many Blessings on that new life added to your family and many Blessings on the Mom and Dad!

    And I will be praying for Emily Ann, that she too will be spared and added to a fold in which she will be loved and cherished. I love the prayer to the Holy Family, thank you for sharing that.

    Love and Prayers,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.