Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Once Upon a Recipe


I can think of no better way to send out the old and bring in the new than with a really scrumptious chocolate cake. Not just any chocolate cake but a BLACK MAGIC CAKE. For a number of years this recipe was on the box of Hershey's Cocoa. One day, I can't tell you why, I decided to write it down for fear the new box would not have the recipe and I would have thrown out the old. Hence, out with the old and in with the new (a very bad analogy!)

This cake has been a staple in our house for nearly 35 years. I started making it when we lived in Oklahoma and so it continues. Please enjoy!

Black Magic Cake
1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup strong coffee (or 2 teaspoon instant coffee in 1 cup hot water)
1 cup butter or sour milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1t teaspoon vanilla

Combined flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large mixing bowl. Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, or sour mild, oil, and vanilla. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased 13"x9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

~sour milk= 1 tablespoon vinegar +milk=1 cup

Cake batter will be watery!!! I have never iced this cake. It is so rich. To decorate, when cool, I dust with powered sugar. It can be served with whipped topping or ice cream.

Enjoy ringing in the New Year. Then start the diet next week. Please as always share one of your favorite stories and the recipe that goes with it. Just attach it to Mr. Linky.

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!


4 comments:

  1. my hubby just got a recipie for a similar cake with coffee and cocoa...and prune baby food!!

    gonna see how THIS goes.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. CHOCOLATE is my FAVORITE!!! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake sounds like a yummy way to bring in our New Year, so I will be trying it as I only do 'from scatch' cakes anyway! Thanks for sharing this, Cathy and may you be richly blessed in this New Year!

    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow is Daniel's 18th birthday and he has asked for a Chocolate cake. Timing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.