Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The First Christmas Club

How do you pay for all the expenses of Christmas--the gift-giving, meals, and other expenses?

In 1909, Merkel Landis of the Carlisle Trust Company in Pennsylvania came up with the idea of a Christmas Club account.

The Christmas clubs were built on the concept that if people put the money into their regular accounts, and it was accessible to them, they would spend it and have nothing left for Christmas.

The idea of a special account available only for the holidays seemed sound, and Christmas Clubs grew in popularity especially during the Great Depression of the 1030's. ~The Little Blue Book, Advent and Christmas, 2009-2010

I remember having Christmas Club accounts and being so grateful in November to have put that money aside. It was easy enough to contribute. Every week I put in the same amount. It was an anticipated expense with rewards at the end.

We have a built in Christmas Club, to which we can contribute every day of every week every year. It doesn't require going to the bank, depositing on-line or keeping track of the weeks. We have a soul that is a vault in which we can save the graces we attain when we set aside time to be with Jesus, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, or visit the sick.

What about the time we spend in front of the TV? Often wasted time. There is nothing to be gained there. And as Ron always says, "Zero times anything is still ZERO." So spend some time today considering that "Christmas Club" of the Soul. How do your deposits look? Then take some time with the "Head of the Savings and Loan" to work out a savings plan!

*
*~*
*~*~*
*~*~*~*
\_/

Thanks be to God!!!


Picture originally uploaded by London Tom

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely thought...to have a Christmas club of the heart and soul where we "deposit" each day/week of the year...then we have more than enough accrued to help others at Christmas even if only with our time.

    blessings and hugs,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cathy, what a GREAT post! Here I am worrying about the material things this Christmas and you gently reminded me to focus on what really matters. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness! This is so timely for me!
    I just wrote a post about giving up on people! What kind of Christmas account is that for my soul?

    Boy, am I overdrawn! I better start making deposits quick!

    Thanks for the reminder, Cathy.
    All the best to you, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great post Cathy, you always have a straight to the spirit arrow which I dearly love.
    Have a blessed day....:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dearest Cathy, I was so happy to see that you had visited me. And, I believe all of the ones who have commented prior to me on this post have expressed all of the thoughts that I have about a Christmas Club Account of the soul. I cannot say it more fully or often enough - The Season of Advent brings out the very best and most special feelings in humankind. Wouldn't it be a lovely world if this could last 365 days a year? Imagine!

    Be well, be happy, and I wish you peace and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post!! thanks for that thought today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this post, Cathy! Grace-deposits through Jesus and Mary, and they can make withdrawals whenever they want to share the gifts they've given, and we don't even know to whom - like the Angel tree at church!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I am 45 years old and I never knew this much about graces. I heard a video made by kids talking about sacrifice beads today at Holy Heroes. Is that basically what you mean? lol I never did that as a kid btw.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.