Friday, June 05, 2009

What's In a Name?

A reflection I came upon today. I wish to share it with you as we begin the weekend.

[After healing and teaching many people the disciples, whom Jesus had sent out,] came back in great joy. "Lord," they said, "even the demons obeyed us when we gave them a command in your name!" ~Luke 10:17~

An American tourist was walking down a deserted rural road in Germany. She came upon a shepherd grazing sheep. A dog was diligently guarding the flock. "What's the dog's name?" she asked.

I'll spell it for you," said the shepherd. "I don't like to say it out loud unless I have something for him to do."

The shepherd's comment reminds us of how personal and powerful a name is. People in biblical times held names in extra-special reverence so it's no surprise that Jesus' name--when invoked--had power over demons

How aware am I of the power of the name of Jesus? How reverently do I use Jesus' name?

The Name of Jesus is honey for the mouth, music for the ear and gladness for the heart. ~Saint Bernard of Clairvaux~

from Vision 2000
Praying Scripture in a Contemporary Way
by Mark Lind, S.J.

We're off to INDY this weekend to celebrate Lindsey's 5th birthday early and deliver baby crib and nursery items to Marianne and Eric. Everyone have a grand weekend.

~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! That is beautiful and an important reminder for me to be very aware of how I do use His name

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post!

    I remember years ago when my husband and I were first going together and I was having a very hard time with something, and really felt evil all around me, it was actually petrifying to me, and I was telling my husband how afraid I was of Satan, and my husband gave me a little slip of paper and written on it was "One Little Word can fell him. Christ."

    I can do all things in Him Who strengthens me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We dedicated our family many years ago to the Holy Name. Thanks for spreading the devotion! Hope your trip is safe and your visits all delightful, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so true, everytime I feel the fear of attack I ask Jesus, to "hide me in his wounds," it works everytime for me. Have a safe journey and truly enjoy your family........:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good points, Cathy. I love the phrase in the bible - the name above all names.
    Hope you have a great weekend! God's blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. To this day, after being in Catholic grade school and high school, I was taught by the nuns to bow my head every time the name of Jesus is said (just did it as I wrote it).

    Some Indians (Native Americans) consider names so sacred that their 'real' names remain a secret except for one or two people.

    Thank you for a lovely meditation and may you have a joyous and safe trip.

    blessings,

    marcy

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.