Friday, February 06, 2009

Bad Haiku Friday



"When you're at a loss,
Don't know where you are going.
Give me a call"...God


It's funny how things come together. He gives you the words and then sends you to the instruction. And so He did this day. I was just going to post this and that would be that. Then I picked up Archabbot Lambert Reilly's book Latin Sayings For Spiritual Growth.

Here is where I was led:

Pedibus compensunda est memoria
("A forgetful head makes a weary pair of heels")
Traditional
~~~

The cook who has her ingredients ready before she turns on the stove has a much easier time of it than the one who must bustle about the kitchen, opening boxes, measuring, chopping; and cleaning all at once. The teacher who doesn't plan spends more time on discipline than instruction. The shopper who heads to the mall without a list on the day before Christmas is bound to lose his holiday spirit by dusk.

We can waset a lot of time vainly spinning our wheels, not only in the practicalities of life but to our spiritual lives as well.

We think that because we are unique and our sense of God is so personal and lies so deep within, that we are completely on our own when it comes to prayer. We flounder and wander, thinking that no one else can help, that no one else can understand our particular challenges.

It's just not so. Not one of us is the first person alive to seek intimacy with God. Millions have gone before us, and innumerable others have written about their journeys. Fellow friends of the Lord in our own parishes and homes surround us. Their stories, their experiences with prayer, can be of great value to us. In forgetting the gifts our fellow Christians have to offer, we make our solitary journeys all the more weary.
Archabbot Lambert Reilly, O.S. B.
St. Meinrad Archabby
St . Meinrad, IN
~~~


And so, my companions-on-the-journey I offer this as reflection today. I, too, will contemplate these words. My thought, as I read this, was "How gracious God is to lead me to the gentle lesson of the Archabbot and how wonderful it is to be reminded that I am not alone on this journey and that you all have a great deal to teach me. What a comfort that is and it makes me less "weary."


~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!

4 comments:

  1. We are never alone on our journey - that thought will accompany me this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grateful I am, too, for this knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a heartening and beautiful post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post,thank you. Your words will travel with me ...have a wonderful weekend:)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.