Saturday, November 08, 2008

What's My Line?


I had my first meeting with Sr. Dorothy on Wednesday. We meet once a month as companions on the journey in my discernment in becoming a Provident Associate. This month's topic for discussion was "The Story." I read the story of St. Mother Theodore Gueren and the Sisters of Providence. Then I was asked to write my "story." And so I did.

Sr. and I met for lunch and then discussion. She asked me to read the story, instead of reading it herself. I thought I was being cute when I titled it "What's My Line?" after the old TV show of the 50's and 60's. Well, it soon became apparent that what I had written was not as humorous has I had tried to make it out to be. When I really "heard" the words I wrote, I couldn't hold back the tears. They flowed freely. After a bit she asked me why I thought I was crying. And as I reflected I told her it seemed I was crying because I missed the people and times I have already lived. Though not always perfect and without some ordeal, they were not bad times and the people who are now gone were good and had a profound impact on my life. They help mold me into who I am. They are the one's who lead me and guided in my faith. They loved me and cared not just for my physical well-being but also my spiritual health. It was truly a growing experience and I learned that my story really is important, if to no one but me.

Taking time to write your story is a worthwhile endeavor. It's not important that it be an in depth memoir. Certainly after the initial attempt you might want to write an autobiography. It's a worthwhile endeavor because it opens your soul and mind. It allows you to see the value in your life and how other have molded you into the person you are. Think about it and then do it.

On that note, because I see this as a gift to ME, I would direct you to the story Sojourner has to tell about her incredible life at A Journey Through His Garden. Please visit and read her essay. Thank you!

~~~^j^~~~
Thanks be to God!

8 comments:

  1. Hello there on this beautiful Sunday morning..thank you for writing and sharing this story!! I just visited" A journey through his garden" and was very moved ..so again thank you for directing me that way..
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. i received your story with thanksgiving. it is a valuable endeavor, i believe, to let our stories tell themselves to us. we honor ourselves ... our thinking and feeling ... our being when we take up such listening.

    laure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I agree with everything you're saying here about how our past and those who helped to shape it are worthy of remembering and worthy of our gratitude as we recall them and their personalities and influence.
    People struggled then, people struggle now and as Laure says we honour ourselves and them when we recall them in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathy... You are right!! I like the story idea. We all have them. What we were..what we are..WHo we are Christ. The place the Christ took us out of. I really love that idea!!! Thanks for sharing!! Have a blessed day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story, I thank you for your openness to share and I'll be praying for you on your discernment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy, as I was reading through your post I was thinking yes our histories inform our present and directs our future as God shapes us into the people we become along our journeys - then low and behold I come to the end and see your mention of my story. It is good to see what the telling of our stories can do for ourselves and for others. Will you be sharing "The Story" of which you spoke?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think of the before and after.

    Unlike many I was not raised in a Christian home though my parents were strict and loving and very Victorian in their views.

    I think to how unforgiving and hardhearted I was BEFORE my conversion. And how I still struggle AFTER my conversion. Our faults and failings do not disappear overnight...but I found it is in the STRUGGLE that is the Victory.

    The day I give up struggling against my self will is the day I have lost my faith.

    I struggle each and every day to be the Promise of how God Created me to be and that is a reflection of Himself.

    Very moving Cathy:)

    Peace, JOY & Love to you:)

    Marie xooxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy, I am a Pauline Cooperator (St. Paul, Daugthers of St. Paul) and really enjoy it. My life has been greatly enriched through the teachings of Christ in the life of St. Paul. I cannot wait to read about what might be another chapter of your life. Blessings in your state of discernment. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.