Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Power Prayer


Next week the topic for RCIA is prayer. I'll be presenting the lesson. It is interesting, just as I was about to begin, that I was guided to this particular homily by St. Clement of Alexandria in the book Living the Mysteries: A Guide for Unfinished Christians by Scott Hahn and Mike Aquilina. I must say that I am not really comfortable witnessing about prayer or even explaining what it is, as sometimes I'm not sure I can even say I know how to pray. This is a gift, I know, for why else would I be given this challenge. With all those who daily pray, how do you teach someone to pray, or even adequately explain what praying is?

Well, here is a partial answer given to the neophytes entrusted to St. Clement.

The Power of Prayer

Prayer doen't change God. He is enchanging and unchangeable. But it does change us, making us more like Him, and thus more able to accept His will, whatever it may be. Prayer makes us radiate goodness.

On the face of Moses there settles a kind of glorified hue, because of his righteous conduct and his constant conversation with God who spoke to him. So, too, a divine power of goodness clings to the righteous soul in contemplation, in prophecy, and in the act of governing. It impresses on the soul a kind of intellectual radiance, like a ray of the sun, as a visible sight of righteousness. It unites the soul with light, through unbroken love, which is God-bearing and borne by God. This is how someone who knows God grows in likeness to God the Savior, as far as human nature may, since he becomes perfect "as your heavenly Father is perfect"(Mt 4:48).

~~~~~~~
There follows these instructions by the authors.
~~~~~~~
Take It to Prayer

A divine power of goodness clings to the righteous soul in contemplation.

"If. . .the Israelites could not look at Moses' face because of its brightness, fading as this was, will not the dispensation of the Spirit be attended with greater Splendor?" (2 Cor 3:7-8). "All of us, gazing with unveiled face on the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image of glory to glory" (2 Cor 3:18 NAB).

Apply It to Your Life

Schedule Time for prayer each day. Make it the most important appointment on your calendar. Stick to it.
~~~~~+~~~~~

And so there you have it. A short lesson in prayer. I'm still struggling with my prayer life. I don't know how to listen. My prayer is "Teach me to be QUIET!" Now I also pray that in the next several days the Holy Spirit will guide me to a lesson that will aid those who are seeking answers might be encouraged to amplify their prayer life.

Pray for ME!
~~~^j^~~~

Thanks be to God!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure your presentation will go very well indeed. Often a line that speaks quietly to us speaks loudly to someone else, and so we never know who the Holy Spirit may be talking to, through us.
    And I know what you mean abut the listening, Cathy!! I'm training myself slowly to free my mind from all distractions and racing thoughts so as to let God get a word in, I've shut Him out so many times - one-sided prayer is hardly prayer at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the subject of prayer is going to hit home for a lot of folks. It's an area that so many struggle in..including myself. Like Veritas said..one sided prayer..praying to God but not listening to His reply..which is something I OFTEN do & struggle with. I can honestly say my prayer life is MUCH better...I am seeking Him more often..but I don't always listen. He will put in your heart what needs to be said & heard and I'm sure it will touch somebody.The Holy Spirit is always working in the midst. Good luck with your presentation & I'm sure it will go well. :) Be Blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will go wonderful, I'll be praying for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never pray with a lot of wordiness, but it took years to discipline my mind from its 'chatter' to instead 'listen.'

    I give a lot of credit to the Carmelites who taught me prayer, REAL prayer and we have to understand that sometimes God will say NO! What we think is in our own good is not so at all.

    Trust in God's Word for He will never forsake you. I had to learn to let go of my 'emotionalism' and understand that in prayer we dont always 'feel' God's Presence but He is there always.

    I am sure you will do brilliantly Cathy:).

    Peace, JOY & Love to you:)

    Marie xooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is also hard for me to listen. I'm really working on that. I'm sure that the Holy Spirit will guide you as you prepare for your presentation. I'll keep you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am more then sure you will do just great..you will have the best "support" there is..Blessings ***

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently read that God shows us how to pray to him, how to praise him...sometimes it's just a matter of asking Him to show us what to say.

    That just reaffirmed for me what a wonderful Father...he teaches us everything...even how to love him.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.