Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Reunion That Never Ends...

Today's reflection in Praying with Saint Paul, edited by Father Peter John Cameron, O.P. reminded me of two things. First, family though not near, is always family. And memories of family, even after the reunion are precious and dear, if not emboldening. And then that the family of God is always near. They, too, support, encourage and support us. A family in every way!!!

Family Ties
by
Father Gary Caster

"Conduct yourselves in a way worthy of the gospel of Christ, so
that, whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear news
of you, that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind
struggling together for the faith of the gospel, not intimidated in
any way by your opponents."
Philippians 1: 27-28

Saint Paul's words to the Philippians remind me of something my parents used to say to me and my brothers and sisters whenever we were going to be away from home or our on our own: "Behave yourselves." This was their simple way of reminding us to be the persons they raised us to be, and not to be "intimidated by whatever conflicting influences we might encounter. Unfortunately, there were times I failed to do so. It was then they would point out how my behavior didn't faithfully reflect the way I had been raised. Saint Paul uses similar words to encourage his spiritual children. He wants them to remember that in all ways and at all times they are members of the Christian family. Their conduct should therefore reflect "the way of the Gospel" in which they have been raised. as sons and daughters of God, their actions should depend--not on whether Paul is with them--but solely on the truth of who they are in Christ. Standing firm in this is a positive safe-guard against difficult situation and opposing voices. Saint Paul know they don't have to be told how to behave; they simply need to be reminded who they are. As Christians, our conduct, should flow naturally from the one spirit that binds us together as a family. The way of the Gospel requires a unity that goes beyond personal preferences, social bonds, or individual comfort levels. as one that draws us together in good times and in bad, In sickness and in health, in riches and in poverty. Only as a family united in mutual and loving concern, only as a family--one in mind and heart--can we live in peace undisturbed by those who fear, reject or are opposed to the way of the Gospel.

Heavenly Father, through the power of your spirit, let me alway live according to the truth of who I have become in Christ, never forgetting who I am, standing firm before the world ever confident in your love.

So I am encouraged, in many ways, to thank my family for the love, support, encouragement and loyalty. I can say I have never doubted their love. Then I thank my family in Christ through which this very same love, support, encouragement and loyalty has been shown to me. Through these loving people I have been guided in a mutual love of God and would be lost without them.

~~~~~

Finally, I say heartfelt and sincere,
"Thanks be to God!"

5 comments:

  1. cathy, you have spoken well and with great word pictures of body life. thank you for the exhortation to remember to live with the consciousness of who we are individually and corporately in Him our Head.

    Laure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did realize the importance of my family before, but not to quite the extent as I did about a month ago. Most of us were together for the first time in over a year and I noticed how things were different. I was a lot more relaxed, and I got along a LOT better with my brother. So I am more and more thankful for my family and for the times we will have together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessed be God forever! I read this as I fuss around the house making it just right for my husband's familiy to arrive tomorrow from Indiana. Why? They are here to see us, not my house. What a blessing they are and what wonderful things each person in our families brings to our lives. There have been times that I have wondered what God was doing when He put certain personalities, etc. in my family; however, I have learned that He has a plan and if I open my heart to His plan I can see why the people I have in my family are in my family.
    Blessed be God and love to you my blogging friend!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laure, you are too kind.

    Miss "SUS" you are so much to be grateful for. God Bless you!

    Kimberly...Oh, my dear, do enjoy the time you have together!!! And maybe when you're "Back Home Again in Indiana" we can chat...

    God Bless you ALLLLLL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you, Cathy. Living in the UK has made me appreciate family even more. In the Philippines, Filipinos value family more and I miss that.

    Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comments.

    joy

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.