Thursday, April 24, 2008

Waiting Upon God

The Annunciation
Fra Angelico, (c. 1438-1445)


This is our Lord's will: that our prayer and our trust should be equally generous. For if our trust is not as generous as our prayer we cannot worship God to the full, and we hinder and harm ourselves.

Sometimes it seems that we have been praying a long time and still do not have what we ask. But we should not be sad. I am sure that what our Lord means is that either we should wait for a better time or more grace, or a better gift.

This is his meaning: that we should see what he does, and pray that it should be done. One is not enough without the other.

It is our Lord's will that, whatever he plans to do, we should pray for it, either in particular or in general. The joy and delight it gives him, and the thanks and glory we shall be given because of it pass all understanding--in my sight.

St Julian of Norwich
Enfolded in Love, Daily reading with Julian of Norwich
Edited by Robert Llewelyn


~~~~~

I am called to wait. I have found that I am great at procrastination (waiting to do something I am called to do) but not so good at waiting (submitting to the will of another in this case God). Why is that? I don't "wait on God" very well at all...Oh!!! I think I have control of one and I know I have no control of the other...The truth is I am not in control of either. Procrastination caused anxiety and the other impatience. Boy have I got a lot of work to do in learning to wait without assuming to be in control...

~~~~~
Thanks be to God!!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't the irony of this contradiction curious? I can relate to the tensions between procrastination and impatience. hmmm...

    Oh, to learn to place the appropriate value on what each day holds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree...Learning to place th appropriate value! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some people - myself included - expect instance fixes - and to their specification - not allowing for God's judgement at all.
    I haven't as yet read much of Julian of Norwich but the excerpt you've chosen to share has prompted me to investigate - and I won't procrastinate on this occasion, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wise words. It is in the waiting that we find our answer. We find Him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have opened a door for me to think on this equalality of generosity (or lack thereof)of my prayer and trust and the resulting consequences. God has been asking me to "HOLD" . . . to live inside this moment and that one . . . to live inside the vulnerability of each moment, myself vulnerable. I am ever thankful to Him for confirming, through your post, what He has been speaking to me in this season.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.