Friday, November 30, 2007

SURPRISE!!!

Copthorne Hotel, December, 2005

My reflection this morning was so relevant to me and the Church's "beginning" of this Holy Season that I just had to share it. Again from A Catholic Woman's Book of Days by Amy Welborn.

"Now when these things begin to take place,
stand up and raise your heads, because
your redemption is drawing near."
-Luke 21:28-

***
When I lived in Florida, Advent and Christmas always caught me by surprise. I did, indeed, own a calendar, but there's just something about palm trees, balmy skies, and wearing shorts that conspires against that particular holiday spirit.

I don't want to be caught by surprise this year, because even though the weather here is cold, plenty of other attractions conspire to distract me. so what will I do? I'll consider the gift that the Advent season can bring me: Four weeks to contemplate what the coming of Jesus means in my life. I'll try not to sleep through it. I'll try, as Jesus tells me, to stay awake to the possibilities that the present holds.
***
Loving God, help me find the space to prepare
myself for this holy season of Advent.


~*~*~*~
And so to this I say,
"Amen and Thanks be to God!"


2 comments:

  1. Lovely. Keep looking up to Jesus. He has come and he's coming again. Halleluyah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you have a blessed Advent!

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.