Monday, November 26, 2007

The Path of Waiting...







"The secret of waiting
is the faith of that the seed
has been planted,
that something
has begun."

Henri J. M. Nouwen, 1995






Advent is upon us and I have been reflecting on "waiting". My birthday falls in December. So waiting for me as a child was twofold. The anticipation of my birthday and then the excitement of Christmas. And when I was twelve years old the holiday was even more exciting while waiting for the birth of my youngest brother, Phil. (I secretly hoped he would be born on my birthday.) Well, even better, he was born on the 23rd so that when we came home from the Aunts where my sister, brother and I were staying, we had our own "Baby Jesus".

Then, twelve years later I gave birth to a most precious gift. Yes, I gave birth to my oldest son David, on my birthday. Needless to say I don't remember much about that day except that I had a wonderful baby boy with whom I could share the day. Anyone who has been pregnant really understands better than anyone the excitement and anxiety that accompanies all the other changes that go on in this nine months of Waiting, the advent of that birth.

That's how I see Advent. We are in prayerful anticipation of our continued rebirth as Christians. And that rebirth is in the person of Jesus Christ our Savior and his constant presence in our lives. Being reborn daily, growing in the fullness of his Light!!! We are in constant formation. Advent is a reminder. Yes, a season in which we are called again to look inward, make those changes so difficult to make, modify behavior. We are called to LOVE again and again. And why not? He loves us again and again.

Finally, Henri J. M. Nouwen says:

Waiting. . .is not passive. It involves nurturing the moment, as a mother nurtures the child that is in her womb. Zechariah, Elizabeth, Mary, Simeon, and Anna were present to the moment. That is why they could hear the angel. They were alert, attentive to the voice that spoke to them and said, 'Don't be afraid. Something is happening to you. Pay attention.'

*
**
***
*****
*
*
~~~~~~~

Thanks be to God!!!

5 comments:

  1. A lovely, fitting reminder for the weeks that lie ahead. It's so important to focus on that which we ought to focus on, when all around us glitters and jingles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Grandma K. It's funny, I was reading a little Nouwen last night and thinking I should read a little more of him. (And my b-day is in Dec. too, tho' I tried to change it after my mom passed, to a lovely spring day in which we might picnic at the ocean. That worked so "well," folks celebrated me twice a year. :-p So, back to Dec. only.)

    Your musing as well as Nouwen's on "waiting" as not being passive, made me think of how we're not the only ones actively waiting. So is Jesus (and His mother and saints) actively awaiting us.

    It's been a long time since I was excited for Christmas in any way. It's nice to feel that silent night coming on. I'm grateful to you and all who are speaking of this truer joy.

    Venite adoremus. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much thanks for your kind remarks veritas and justme. I was reminded by your Bi-annual birthday celebration, justme, that my "Christmas" brother started a tradition when Mom moved near him a few years ago. He takes her to dinner on her "birthing days", all four of them. She loves it and I think it was a grand idea!!! Good day and God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this writer. Especially The Prodigal Son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do to, Mike. He has a wonderful book of daily reflections call BREAD FOR THE JOURNEY, A DAYBOOK OF WISDOM AND FAITH.

    ReplyDelete

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.