Saturday, June 02, 2007

One must be careful and not overlook a comment...

Much to my surprise and pleasure I found a post I had overlooked. I'm embarrassed, however, because I did not see it until day before yesterday (It was dated in April).

Her name is Sr. Mary Anne. She is a member of the same community as Sr. Julie. the author of "A Nun's Life" blog. I had offered a comment on one of the topics and used Sr. Gilchrist Conway as an example. This just show small the world has become.

Sr. Mary Anne and Sr. Gilchrist worked serving the poor at the Catholic Worker http://www.catholicworker.org/ in New York City that summer thirty years ago. Sr. Gilchrist shared her adventures with us when she returned to Oklahoma where she was part of a team of Sisters of Providence, including Sr. Dorothy Rasche and Sr. Mary Maloney.

Sr. Gilchrist had a real call to be a missionary. She lived in conditions that summer that sounded appalling. And as she told us, with rats as big as dogs, and God's knowledge of her tremendous fear of them she was sure he was caring for her. She told us of daily waking and working to feed the poor. Donations of food came in and other donations were sought. But at the end of the day after feeding those hungry among them there was nothing left for the next day. At that point, I remember asking, didn't they buy things on sale and put them away so they would be sure to have stock to start again the next day? Sr. Gilchrist simply said, "Cathy, this is what we do. We trust that God will provide for tomorrow." At that time I was the mother of four small children and anxious to be sure there was enough to take care of us. It was a gentle reminder, I often recall, that God is first and He takes care of us all.

Sr. Gilchrist's missionary journey does not end there as she traveled to Bolivia and ministered to those people there. Two weeks before her return to the States, Sr. Gilchrist died in a flash flood. But she died in the service of our Lord. She is missed even now. Her cheerful smile, the glorious flute she played, and most of all the laughter she brought to us all when she would share a Bit of the Blarney.

Wish I could visit with Sr. Mary Anne as I'm sure she and Sr. Gilchrist had marvelous adventures that summer working in the service of the Lord. I am grateful to these women who have touched my life and those of my family.

***
Thanks be to God!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.