Friday, May 11, 2007

The Gifted With a Talent for Patience

The skill of the craftsmen...
and the work of their hands...

and the talented use of the tools.

The railing is in place and the curios are empty. Won't be long before the carpet is gone. The back bedroom has all the Precious Moment figurines in it and the dining room table has all the cut glass and the Wedgewood. It was so exciting to see the transformation of the the pieces of wood into the railing that Roy and Ron assembled. Not an easy task, as making and putting up the railing requires a lot of patience. "Measure twice, cut once." Roy and Ron worked steadily and with skill. I really admire this in a person as I am not patient by nature. My reflection today even coincides with this lesson in patience.
***
"Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding,
but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly."
Proverbs 14:29
***
Amy Welborn says, "I am not the most patient person in the world, and whenever I am tempted to lose it, I think of the Amish woman at the airport.
*
She was going through security and she set off the alarm. Repeatedly. They ran the wand over her, back and forth, although she assured them she had no metal on her. An still she beeped.
*
Watching this, I was relieved that so much energy was being exerted to protect me from the dangers of fifty-year-old Amish women. But I also had to admire her patience; there was no logical reason to keep examining and searching her, and it was even a little insulting. But through it all, her smile never faded, for as she probably well understood, anger would have accomplished nothing."
***
"Loving God, build up my patience"
***
To that I say, "Amen!" For as long as can remember to smile when my computer at work is not behaving well; I smile when I am reminded often that my computer skills are not yet honed enough on E-Clinical; and I smile when unloading the curio when I'd rather be reading or doing counted cross-stitch, I am trying to emulate the Amish woman realizing there is nothing to be gained in anger. And, too, I smile when I thank God in His patience in loving me.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Your insightful comments are appreciated and I want all to feel comfortable and welcome.